Q: nnimap, fancy splitting, and multiple mail sources

From: Jeremy Hankins
Subject: Q: nnimap, fancy splitting, and multiple mail sources
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 12:08:31 -0400

I apologize if this is in the info pages somewhere, but I haven't been able
to find it.

I'd like to use nnimap to store my mail folders (with the exception of some
archival folders).  I have multiple mail sources, though -- other accounts,
the local spool, that sort of thing.  Ideally I want mail from all these
sources to be split into my nnimap folders.

Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be happening.  Mail in my local spool,
for example, is being split into an nnml folder.  Until recently that was how
it was supposed to work, but I recently decided to switch it to use nnimap.
I expected that using nnimap as my primary select method would take care of
that.  When manually moving messages around, and creating new groups in the
process, that's how it works.  But not at split time.

My primary select method is my nnimap account, with a secondary local (nnml)
method being used for a few other folders.  Eventually I plan to set up an
expiry function to move old messages from nnimap to the nnml folders, but I
haven't done anything with that yet.

I have both nnimap-split-rule and nnmail-split-method set to
bbdb/gnus-split-method, and bbdb/gnus-split-nomatch-function set to
nnmail-split-fancy.  I'm guessing that the problem is that when the split is
being done via nnimap it works as I expect, but when my other mail is being
split it happens via nnmail-split-methods and goes into the nnmail folders.

Any pointers, or suggestions on how to get all split mail going into nnimap
groups?

Thanks!

--
Jeremy Hankins <nowan@nowan.org>