Re: nnimap troubles

From: Jeremy Hankins
Subject: Re: nnimap troubles
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 06:35:11 -0400

Joel Reicher <joel@panacea.null.org> writes:

> It is supposed to work, I think, but splitting with IMAP is a little
> different to splitting without. Did you read the docs? For example,
> there is
>
> `nnimap-split-inbox'

Yup, I've read them.  And I have nnimap-split-inbox set to 'INBOX', and
splitting is happening as I'd expect for messages that start out in
nnimap.  The problem is that I have other sources of mail, and messages
that start out there end up in new group that has the correct name, but
is an nnml group rather than nnimap.  So I end up with two identical
hierarchies of groups, one in nnimap and the other local nnml.

>> The other problem I'm having seems much more ordinary, though.  The
>> problem is that new folders (e.g., mail gets split into a folder that
>> didn't previously exist) don't show up as subscribed (or killed, or as a
>> zombie).  They do show up if I use 'A A' to get a complete list of
>> folders, and I can then subscribe to them.  I have
>> `gnus-options-subscribe' set to ".*", which I would expect would
>> subscribed me to any new groups whatsoever.  But it doesn't seem to have
>> any effect.
>
> And again from the docs...
>
>    Gnus gives you all the opportunity you could possibly want for
> shooting yourself in the foot.

[...]

Yes, I know.  But with nnimap (like nnml) I really do want to subscribe
to everything that shows up -- and nnml works this way by default, in my
experience.  However:

%    If you don't want to mess with your `.newsrc' file, you can just set
% the two variables `gnus-options-subscribe' and
% `gnus-options-not-subscribe'.  These two variables do exactly the same
% as the `.newsrc' `options -n' trick.  Both are regexps, and if the new
% group matches the former, it will be unconditionally subscribed, and
% if it matches the latter, it will be ignored.

Perhaps those variables are intended to only work with nntp, but that
isn't clear to me from context (section 1.5.3, "Filtering New Groups").
My nnimap groups do show up in my .newsrc, for example.

Thanks for responding!  Now I know my messages are getting through... ;)

--
Jeremy Hankins <nowan@nowan.org>