Re: Read mail and newsgroups

From: Gernot Hassenpflug
Subject: Re: Read mail and newsgroups
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 16:49:23 +0900

Karl Kleinpaste <invalid@kleinpaste.org> writes:

> someusernamehere <someusernamehere@gmail.com> writes:
>> how I can tell to gnus that I want to read my
>> mail and no the newsgroups?
>
> Groups have levels.  See the manual:
> info://Gnus/Group+Levels

Hi,

I have a related issue. Once setting the levels of the Mail groups, I
have the problem that I can only set them to be either read or not
read on gnus startup and with the "g" command in the Groups buffer. I
cannot seem to have Mail groups read individually with Meta-g as I
could with News groups.

The variable I use to control if Mail is downloaded on startup is:

(setq nnml-get-new-mail t) ;; set to nil if we do not want to download
                           ;; immediately

So, if I don't want Mail groups read on startup, I set the above to
nil, but then M-g does nothing, whereas I can easily read in new News
for a specific group with the M-g key (and if the server is
disconnected I can find it in the server buffer and connect
again).

This has been worrying me for over two years, and no amount of Google
searches has turned up anything remotely like a solution. Any hints?
--
Grrr!!  ...Pick a reason...