rx and gnus-posting-styles

From: Hadron
Subject: rx and gnus-posting-styles
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 19:07:04 +0200

I tried to use rx as a pattern match condition in gnus-posting-styles
and was advised in the emacs irc channel to use something like

rx(or "str1" "str2") to match all strings containing str1 or str2. It
didn't work.

However I did use the output of rx substituted in my gnus-posting style
and it worked:

e.g "\\(?:php\\linux)".

Could someone please explain it to me as I dont see how that matches all
strings containing "php" or "linux".

Before playing with "rx" I had ".*php.*\\|.*linux.*" matching what I wanted.

Here is the corresponding "rx output" gnus-posting-style entry:

(setq gnus-posting-styles
      '(

        (""\\(?:php\\linux)""
         (name "Hadron")(address "hq@gmail.com")
         )

        ))

The main question is, however, can I use "rx" directly or not in
gnus-posting-style?