Re: how to get confirmation that mail was sent correctly

From: Sivaram Neelakantan
Subject: Re: how to get confirmation that mail was sent correctly
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 18:49:01 +0530

Guenter Wolpert <guenter.wolpert@t-online.de> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'm using GNUS 5.9.0 for reading news and (mainly) for my e-mail.
> The mail system uses a POP server that used to be a dial-up
> conenction, no its a DSL router.
> What I'm currently missing is a feature to
> a) cause an acknowledgement when the mail was read by the recipient

Is this what you're looking for?  In a mail buffer, in the header
lines if you....
C-c M-n runs the command message-insert-disposition-notification-to
  which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `message.el'.
It is bound to C-c M-n, <menu-bar> <Field> <Request Receipt>.
(message-insert-disposition-notification-to)

Request a disposition notification (return receipt) to this message.
Note that this should not be used in newsgroups.

> b) trace the mail as it is transferred from server to server.
> Both features are available in usual mail programs and I guess,
> GNUS can do also.

Please, can you explain this a little more?  I was under the
impression the mail one *receives* has the path traversal in the
headers.

> One more thing: Receiving a lot of spam, including completely empty
> mails, I wonder, whether GNUS responds to the above mentioned (a)
> acknowledge feature and how I can control this.

No idea here.

[...]

 sivaram