Note: read-only score file; entry discarded

From: Robert D. Crawford
Subject: Note: read-only score file; entry discarded
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 05:56:23 -0500

Using Gnus v5.11 on GNU Emacs 22.1.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) of
2007-08-02 on t40.

I am getting the above message and can't understand why.  I am not
really sure when the message began but I realized it when I tried to
manually lower the score for a particular sender.  I have checked the
permissions on each of the SCORE and ADAPT files and they are all
currently 666.  I have within the last few months done a reinstall of
Debian so, thinking this might be an issue with users and groups I have
done a chown rdc.rdc on the SCORE and ADAPT files.  All the score files
have the following lines:

 (mark-and-expunge -1)
 (read-only nil)
 (adapt t)

and I have made sure that it is valid elisp as far as parens go.

I am not really sure where else to look.  Any help would be
appreciated.

Thanks,
rdc
--