Re: mailcap/mime types

From: William F Hammond
Subject: Re: mailcap/mime types
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 13:48:12 -0500

> On Thu, Nov 08 2007, Richard G Riley wrote:
>> What would the .mailcap entry to match this similar to:
>>
>> video/x-ms-wmv;/usr/local/bin/mplayer %s
>
> It would be ...
>   application/octet-stream; /usr/local/bin/mplayer %s

But in .mailcap this would cause mplayer to be spawned for all
instances of application/octet-stream, which is a catch-all
content-type for "binary" things of whatever nature.

My sense is that this content-type is used when the content-provider
expects the user to download and save or when the content-provider
does not know what content-type to use.

                                    -- Bill