nnml article number gaps

From: nobrowser
Subject: nnml article number gaps
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2007 20:47:21 -0800 (PST)

I just took a nnml group with 5000+ articles and split it in two.  I
hoped that the number of articles Gnus asks me about when I open the
group would be smaller.  It isn't, and I realize this is because it
simply takes the ordinals of the last and first article and takes the
difference, and no renumbering occurs when articles are deleted.  So
then I thought nnml-generate-nov-databases (or its wrapper command in
the server buffer) would do that.  It doesn't either.  Is there any
non-manual way of squeezing the gaps in article numbers after mass
deletion?