Re: prompts when moving articles etc

From: Stein Arild Strømme
Subject: Re: prompts when moving articles etc
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 11:20:41 +0100

[Tassilo Horn]

| > |
| > | Looking at the code it seems you can set the variable
| > | `gnus-current-move-group' to "nnimap+imap.uib.no:mail/".
| >
| > Thanks for that tip, but it does not do what I want!
| >
| > `gnus-current-move-group' is the suggested default for moving
| > messages, usually taking the value of the last group I moved something
| > into.  I'm happy with that behaviour.
| >
| > What I want to change is the prompt -- that needs to be completed --
| > if I move to somewhere *other* than last time.
|
| Hm, the function in gnus-move-group-prefix-function does the job of
| inserting the part to complete.  Here, if I want to move an article in
| nnmaildir+Fastmail:INBOX.foo, it will use "nnmaildir+Fastmail:" as
| default, which is nearly what you want (the mail/ is missing).
|
| Do you have several nnimap servers, one unnamed, and want to move an
| article from a group of the unnamed server?  That would explain the
| behaviour you see.

As far as I know, I have only one:

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnml "")
        (nnimap "imap.uib.no"
              (nnimap-stream ssl)
              (nnimap-list-pattern ("INBOX" "mail/*"))
              )))

However, I may have screwed up something earlier that leaves traces
somewhere.  I have some groups with names like "nnimap:leikny",
created by me in gnus because of the inviting prompt "nnimap:", but I
don't know where they actually reside; I cannot find them on the imap
server if I use other mail clients (or from other computers).  Also,
groups created by gnus like "nnimap+imap.uib.no:mail/amm" do not show
up in other mail clients until I also create a corresponding folder in
the other mail client.

Is gnus/nnimap supposed to work in perfect harmony with occasional use
of other imap mail clients?  :-)

This reminds me of another source of irritation (or rather, field of
incompetence on my part): I have several old, emptied and killed
(nnml) mail groups that I no longer use.  They still show up as
choices under tab completion (when applicable).  How do I get rid of
them for good?

SA
--
Stein Arild Strømme            +47 55584825, +47 95801887
Universitetet i Bergen                  Fax: +47 55589672