Re: rss is failing with some feeds

From: David
Subject: Re: rss is failing with some feeds
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 01:26:44 +0200

rahed <raherh@gmail.com> writes:
> I cannot fetch some rss feeds. For instance I get:
>
> nnrss: Failed to fetch http://planet.perl.org/rss20.xml
> XML-RPC is not available... not checking Syndic8.
> gnus-group-make-rss-group: No feeds found for http://planet.perl.org/rss20.xml
>
> I set mm-url-use-external to t and have mm-url-program to wget.
> The same when mm-url-use-external is nil.

It doesn't work because this is actually a Feedburner feed, which is
giving you Atom instead of RSS. The URL might tell you something
different, but whoever set up this feed obviously chose to use
Feedburner's "SmartFeed (TM)", which again uses a terribly intelligent
mechanism to determine if your reader supports Atom or not. You see how
well this works.

Try using

(setq mm-url-use-external t)
(setq mm-url-program "lynx")
(setq mm-url-arguments '("-source" "-useragent" "Drupal"))

-David