Re: sending email via smtp-server: SSL?/TLS?

From: Martin Steffen
Subject: Re: sending email via smtp-server: SSL?/TLS?
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 19:00:40 +0200

    Andrzej> The page below describes how to make gnus use both STARTTLS
    Andrzej> and SSL: http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/GnusGmail

Thanks. Indeed for gmail it works. For the local setting, I am unable to
get that running, even if I think I understood, what the gurus told me
(except that they don't know about emacs). The symptoms are strange:

I have been told, that I can use

    tls at port 25, or

    smpts ssl at port 465

So, I mainly tried 25 (I also tried 465, but mainly I thought 25 is more
standard), and for that, I used

(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
      send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
      smtpmail-starttls-credentials '(("smtp.myorg.com" 25 nil nil))
      smtpmail-auth-credentials '(("smtp.myorg.com" 25 "myname@myorg.com nil))
      smtpmail-default-smtp-server "smtp.myorg.com"
      smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.myorg.com"
      smtpmail-smtp-service 25
      smtpmail-debug-info t
      smtpmail-debug-verb t )

Seem pretty much the same with the config which works for gmail (exept the
server is different).

Now, when sending an email (either via message-send-mail-function or
send-mail-function), what _should_ happen is that it prompts me for my
password. What actually happens is

>>Cannot connect to smtp.myorg.com:25: Connection timed out
>>Resolving 'smtp.uio.no'...
>>Connecting to 'zzz.xxx.yyy.zz:25'.

Looking at some error traces and the smpt-emacs-trace-buffer, what seems
to happen is that emacs starts the following a process:

gnutls-cli -s smtp.myorg.com -p 25   (***)

Indeed, when I invoke that directly in the shell, the same happens as given
above: basically nothing, until it time-outs.  I guess, that's the reason
of the problem. This belief is supported by the observation, that when I
type (***) when logged on at the university, it opens a TLS-dialogue to the
SMTP-server.

Anyway, that's as far as I got, but now I am stuck (as I think I followed
the instructions of the local administators ("use port 25, use TLS"). What
should I ask them, apart from telling them those observations? Can there be
more authentication hurdles? On some web-pages, there had been mention of
~/.authinfo, is this something, I need to study further?

Thanks, Martin