Re: Why has my gnus becomes so slow?

From: Victor S. Miller
Subject: Re: Why has my gnus becomes so slow?
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2008 22:07:29 -0400

>>>>> "Andy" == Andy Stewart <lazycat.manatee@gmail.com> writes:

>>>>> "Victor" == Victor S Miller <victor@algebraic.org> writes:
Andy> Hi.  Because gnus have to get news from server.  You can install
Andy> leafnode to get news from news server.  So gnus is fast when it
Andy> just one news reader.

Andy, Thanks for the reply.  What is "leafnode" and where do I get it?
In the meantime I found that I had had gnus-agent set to 't, when I
set it back to nil I found that at least it didn't take much time to
get news from the new server.  However, it still takes a really long
time for it to read all of my nnml directories.  It never used to do
this, and I'm at a loss to see how I can change it back.  I did make
sure that I set gnus-nov-is-evil to nil, and regenerated the .overview
files.  However, that didn't have any (noticeable) effect.

Victor

Andy> Note, after you install leafnode, you set your
Andy> gnus-select-method with "localhost", like below: (setq
Andy> gnus-select-method '(nntp "localhost"))

Victor> In the last week or so gnus has become absurdly slow to start
Victor> up (or get new news).  Typically it now takes over 5 minutes
Victor> while gnus is reading the active file from the news server,
Victor> and it always displays messages "Reading directory" for each
Victor> of my nnml folders.  I've checked that gnus-read-active-file
Victor> is set to its default value 'some, and that
Victor> gnus-check-new-newsgroups is set to its defualt value
Victor> 'ask-server.  Also gnus-nov-is-evil is set to nil.  I've tried
Victor> regenerating the nov databases (.overview) for the nnml
Victor> directories, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.  Any
Victor> suggestions?  I'm running gnus 5.10.6.

Victor> Victor