Re: Losing Mail in Gnus

From: Brett Randall
Subject: Re: Losing Mail in Gnus
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 11:14:11 +1000

> <snip> Hey all I'm having a very strange problem with my Gnus. </snip>

In addition to my previous post, it just happened again where my
nnml+brett:Inbox showed in the Group buffer that there were 3 new
messages, but in the summary buffer, only two messages showed up. I've
looked in my fetchmail log and there's no error with it retrieving and
delivering the mail locally, and there's no errors in the postfix log
either - it says it delivered the e-mails succesfully. However in the
Messages buffer, the following is displayed:

nnml: Reading incoming mail from maildir... [2 times]
Wrote /home/brett/.mairix/Inbox/4816
nnml: Reading incoming mail (1 new)...done
Matched 82 messages
Retrieving newsgroup: nnmairix+nnmairix:mairix...
Matched 82 messages
Fetching headers for nnmairix+nnmairix:mairix...
nnmairix: Rewriting headers... done
Fetching headers for nnmairix+nnmairix:mairix...done
Generating summary...done
Mark set [2 times]
Auto-saving...done
Auto-saving...done
Sending...
Sending via mail...
Saving file /home/brett/Mail/archive/mail/2008-09...
Wrote /home/brett/Mail/archive/mail/2008-09
Sending...done
Opening nntp server on nntp.aioe.org...done
Reading active file from nntp.aioe.org via nntp...
Reading active file from brett via nnml...
Opening nnml server on brett...done
nnml: Reading incoming mail from maildir... [2 times]
Wrote /home/brett/Mail/Inbox/4817
Wrote /home/brett/Mail/Inbox/4818
nnml: Reading incoming mail (2 new)...done

You'll see that one of my e-mails (4816) was delivered to my
.mairix/Inbox folder - .mairix being my path for the mairix search
engine I use. Does anyone know why in the world some e-mails would be
getting delivered to the Mairix backend instead of my nnml backend? In
my .gnus, I simply have:

 (require 'nnmairix)

There's no other mairix configuration in there. And in my .mairixrc I
have:

 base=~/Mail
 mformat=mh
 mh=*...
 database=~/.mairixdatabase

I realise this isn't Gnus-specific now that Mairix is involved, but
hopefully someone here can give me a hand. In the meanwhile, I'm going
to keep an eye on those directories for my missing e-mails. Thanks!

Brett.