Re: Store .newsrc on server (and load it again)

From: David
Subject: Re: Store .newsrc on server (and load it again)
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 16:02:12 +0200

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 11:10:16 +0200 Sebastian Kaps <seb@sauerland.de> wrote:
> I'd like to store my .newsrc on a server and load it when Gnus starts
> up, so I could use Gnus on different systems.
> I'd preferably use IMAP but I think noone has implemented this yet.
> So maybe someone has written some code that copies the .newsrc file
> using scp after each write and retrieves it (also using scp) when Gnus
> starts?
> This should be fairly simple to implement for someone who is familar
> with Emacs Lisp (which I'm unfortunately not).

Ted already pointed you to Tramp. Let me add that syncing only .newsrc
might not be enough, depending on the features you use. For example,
drafts will be saved locally, not on the IMAP server. Therefore, you
should usually also sync ~/News and ~/Mail. I've written up an Emacs
Lisp function some time ago for doing this, via rsync. See

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/GnusSync

for details.

-David