Re: bypass nntp , go directly to mail.

From: harven
Subject: Re: bypass nntp , go directly to mail.
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2008 13:54:52 +0200

Wei Weng <wweng@acedsl.com> writes:

> Hi all.
>
> I just picked up gnus to do my email, and tried to make it receive email
> only. How do I set up my .gnus to skip the news checking part and go
> directly to dealing with email?
>
> Thanks
> Wei

The following may speed-up things

  (setq gnus-nntp-server            nil
        gnus-read-active-file       nil
        gnus-save-newsrc-file       nil
        gnus-read-newsrc-file       nil
        gnus-check-new-newsgroups   nil
        gnus-save-killed-list       nil)

Note that you can start gnus with    M-x gnus-no-server
to skip the news checking part. You can then enter your mail group.
Or, even faster, bind the command (gnus-fetch-group "name-of-my-mail-group")
to some key. This will bring you directly to your mail group, starting
gnus if necessary.