Re: Getting started reading mail stored in local maildir

From: Dan Davison
Subject: Re: Getting started reading mail stored in local maildir
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 14:55:58 +0000 (UTC)

Richard Riley <rileyrgdev <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Dan Davison <davison <at> stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:
>

> > I want to try out gnus, but have got nowhere so far. I would
> > greatly appreciate instruction on how to read mail stored
> > locally in maildirs.
> >
> > My email is downloaded by getmail, and stored by procmail
> > into a variety of maildirs stored under ~/email/. However in
> > order to start playing with gnus, I have created the
> > directory ~/Maildir containing a single maildir-format
> > directory:
> >
> > ~> ls ~/Maildir/dan-mail/
> > cur  new  tmp
> >
> > My ~/.gnus.el contains
> >
> > (setq gnus-select-method '(nnnil ""))
> > (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
> >       '((nnmaildir "" (directory "/home/dan/Maildir/"))))
> >
> > When I start gnus I enter a (Group Plugged) buffer which is
> > empty with the message "No more unread newsgroups". When I
> > hit "L" I see
> >
> >        0: nndraft:queue
> >        0: nndraft:drafts
> >
> > When I hit "^" I enter a (Server Plugged) buffer containing
> >
> >  {nnfolder:archive} (closed)
> >
> >  RET on that line results in a message "Connecting to archive
> > ... done", after which "L" displays
> >
> >      {nnfolder:archive} (opened)
> >

> > This isn't the first time I've lost a few hours trying to get
> > started with gnus, so I am giving up and sending
> > this (admittedly pathetic) email.
> >
> > Thanks for any help!
> >
> > Dan
> >

> I used to use local Maildir so know it works. I cant remember
> what i did though, but did you try here?
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/UsingProcmailWithGnus#toc3

Thanks Richard, I did not. Stupidly I had been googling for
gnus+getmail but not gnus+procmail, and I hadn't arrived at the
correct combination of mail-sources and select-methods.
So I'm up and running now with the following based on that
EmacsWiki

(setq gnus-select-method
      '(nnmaildir "email" (directory "~/email-gnus/")))
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nntp "news.gmane.org")))

(setq mail-sources
      (mapcar
       (lambda(dir) (list 'maildir :path dir :subdirs
                          '("cur" "new" "tmp")))
       (directory-files "~/email-gnus" nil "^[^.]")))

One question for now:

I've resorted to using the web to post this! I couldn't find this
thread in nntp+news.gmane.org:gmane.emacs.gnus.general, and of
course my subscription to the mailing list postdated this
message. So I didn't know how to use gnus to reply to this thread
with the correct headers. Why isn't this thread in the newsgroup?

Dan