Re: More gnewb questions

From: William Xu
Subject: Re: More gnewb questions
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 10:06:11 +0800

notbob@bb.nothome.com writes:

> First and formost: why does it take gnus 1-2 mins to load up new stuff
> into the group buffer?  I get this:
>
> Reading nntp: 3500K   (<--counting)
>
> Reading active file from eu.Usenet-News.net via nntp...  (waiting)
>
> ......then the groups come up and are listed.  WTF!?  slrn does it in
> 1/2 sec.

That also drives me crazy.  My solution is saving a cache of full list of
newsgroups from the server, and subscribe/unsubscribe groups from there.
Of course, I may miss some newly added groups, but that is not much a
problem as long as I update the cache when necessarily.

The config looks like this:

     ;; Make subscribing easier
     (require 'gmane-list)
     (defun xwl-gnus-group-unsubscribe-group (group)
       (interactive
        (list
         (ido-completing-read "Group: "
                              (mapcar 'symbol-name xwl-gmane-list))))
       (gnus-group-unsubscribe-group group))

     (define-key gnus-group-mode-map (kbd "U")
'xwl-gnus-group-unsubscribe-group)

This kind of cache may be also worthwhile adopting in Gnus?

--
William

http://xwl.appspot.com