Re: Stuck with feeding my .gnus the correct gnutls, smtp and/or dns sett

From: Gijs Hillenius
Subject: Re: Stuck with feeding my .gnus the correct gnutls, smtp and/or dns settings
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 09:20:07 +0200

Yesterday, me, myself and I wrote:

> I'm at the end of my wit regarding howto configure Gnus to send mail,
> similar to other mail clients I succesfully use, using port 465 and
> tsl/ssl.

(snip settings and stuff)

> Using these settings I get, when trying to send email:
>
> STARTTLS negotiation failed: TTLS
> 250 HELP
> STARTTLS

(small snip log)

> - Certificate[0] info:
> # The hostname in the certificate does NOT match 'mail.hillenius.net'.

I think I made a little bit of progress.

I get different results when doing either
gnutls-cli -s --insecure --port 465  [mailserver]
or
gnutls-cli --insecure --port 465 [mailserver]

the primer ends in

-- simple client mode

the latter ends in

-- simple client mode
220 [server] ESMPT Exim etcetera

So, I've added to the smtp settings in .gnus

starttls-extra-arguments '("--insecure" "--verbose")

but that is only half the fix, which seems to be similar to what is
described on the info-gnus-english@gnu.org mailing list on 27 April 2009
by Marco Maggi.

Or maybe I'm off track.