Re: Always i want "UTF-8" instead of "US-ASCII"

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Always i want "UTF-8" instead of "US-ASCII"
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 10:31:49 +0200

Hi!

>> When i send mail or news, always Gnus put "US-ASCII" in
>> Content-Type. Actually i want "UTF-8" always!
>
> If your message doesn't contain any characters outside US-ASCII, why
> say UTF-8?

Indeed!  There are still news and mail readers arround which lack good
unicode support.  By default, Gnus selects the most basic coding system
that is needed for all used characters.  Maybe it also takes the
sender's original coding system into account.  So I'd suggest not to
fiddle with this, if it's not absolutely necessary [1].

But for the completeness, there's

,----[ C-h v mm-coding-system-priorities RET ]
| mm-coding-system-priorities is a variable defined in `mm-util.el'.
| Its value is nil
|
| Documentation:
| Preferred coding systems for encoding outgoing messages.
|
| More than one suitable coding system may be found for some text.
| By default, the coding system with the highest priority is used
| to encode outgoing messages (see `sort-coding-systems').  If this
| variable is set, it overrides the default priority.
|
| You can customize this variable.
|
| This variable was introduced, or its default value was changed, in
| version 21.2 of Emacs.
`----

So if you set

(setq mm-coding-system-priorities '("utf-8))

every outgoing message would be encoded with utf-8.