Re: How many articles do you want to ...?

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: How many articles do you want to ...?
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 20:10:04 +0200

Merciadri Luca <Luca.Merciadri@student.ulg.ac.be> writes:

> Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

>>> You could start by looking up
>>>
>>>       gnus-large-newsgroup
>>>

>> Well, this is not exactly what the OP wants AFAIK.
> You are right.
>>
>> Setting gnus-large-newsgroup to 2000 (for example) just means that if
>> the a news group has less than 2000 articles then gnus won't prompt
>> the user otherwise it will.
> Ok. I didn't know that.

Did you not try it? It solves most fetch problems since I would maybe
think most people think in terms of fetching unread posts and not
threads (since a thread is a collection of read and unread posts/mails).

>> But the question is rather (as I understand it): is it possible to
>> make gnus _always_ fetch 2000 articles at most whatever the number of
>> article avalaible on the server side? That is if there're 100 articles
>> then fetch 100 articles, but if there're 4034 articles then just fetch
>> the 2000 last ones.
> For sure. That is my question.

Its one press of enter isn't it after the large group prompt?

If that really is so inconvenient you can "C-u 3000 RET" to enter the
group and fetch the last 3000.

I like the current way : its kind of based around "what you need to
read" as opposed to fetching read stuff. Navigation to older posts in
threads is easy and AT fetches the entire thread if and when you need
it.

>> What I'm looking for is a way to teach gnus to always fetch a fixed
>> number of articles for a specific group without prompting. That could

I am wondering what the value of having a "fixed number" is : it would
be a mixture of read and unread in most cases based on date of
submission. I'm not sure I see the value of this, but I'm probably too
used to "how it is" :-;

>> be a dynamic value such as 10% of the total number of articles for
>> this group and if this value is more than a limit then just fetch this
>> limit.
> I'm looking for it too. If you find any way to implement it, please
> help

regards,

r.