Re: imap-Problem

From: Andreas Most
Subject: Re: imap-Problem
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 13:33:54 +0100

Christoph Herzog <rhogez@googlemail.com> writes:

> Ok, forget about it. I have investigated my problem further and
> reached the conclusion that it's probably a bug in either Gnus or the
> IMail server 10.2. Unfortunately, I can't solve it in either case and
> it's obviously of no interest here. Fortunately Mew works with this
> server out of the box. So for the time being I'll use Mew.
> Kind regards
> Christoph
>

> Christoph Herzog wrote:
>> I'm new to gnus so please bear with me if this turns out to be a
>> trivial issue and I'm missing something obvious.
>> Using gnus 5.13 with Emacs 23.1 on linux I fail to fetch my imap
>> messages from the mail server. It shows me the new mails in my INBOX
>> correctly but when I try to look at them it says: "Group INBOX
>> contains no messages". Also it does not show me my subgroups of
>> INBOX of which I have a few when I try to subscribe with "U".

The problem is of interest, at least to me. ;-)
The issue is that on x86 machines Emacs has only 28 bit integers.
However, some mail servers use mail UIDs which need more than 28 bit
to be represented as an integer. This can be seen from your log.

Currently there is no solution to this problem. It is either GNUS (or
imap.el) which should represent UIDs as strings or Emacs which should
use "long long" types for representing integers.

I have recently found that on amd64 machines integers in emacs have (I
think) 60 bits. I haven't yet tried but probably there will be no such
problem with these high UID numbers.

Andreas.