Re: Sometimes Gnus need a very long time to check e-mail

From: Cecil Westerhof
Subject: Re: Sometimes Gnus need a very long time to check e-mail
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 15:48:03 -0000

Gijs Hillenius <gijs-nospa@hillenius.net> writes:

>> I have Gnus checking every half hour (when Emacs is idle) for new
>> e-mail/articles. Most of the time it is done in about 20 seconds. But
>> sometimes it takes more as half an hour. (And sometimes even a lot more
>> as this.) Can that be a problem with Gnus, or has this to be a
>> network/internet problem?
>
> Check if there is an issue with for example an openssl instance that is
> disconnected on the other side? In my case,  hitting g in the gnus
> buffer will start
>
> openssl s_client -connect mail.server port -no_ssl2 -ign_eof
>
> and I've noticed that at times an already running openssl connection
> will have been severed by one or the other machine, causing gnus to
> wait..

In principal hat could be it, but how do I find that the other site
disconnected?

Since yesterday 11:40 I had one time that it took long:
    2010-04-07 02:46:59: Start with getting new news
               03:17:27: Done with getting new news (0:30:28)

Normally mail/news is fetched every 30 minutes. But only when Emacs is
idle. I have the feeling that in the past it happened more often, but I
am not sure about that.

>> Also when I use C-g because I want to do something in Emacs, I have to
>> leave Gnus and start it again to get connection with my e-mail again,
>> because after the C-g Gnus can not connect to the server anymore.
>
> Hm. I have a feeling that is your set-up, not Gnus. I don't recognise
> that.

Try a g and immediately C-g so that Gnus does not finish but you
terminate the fetching.

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer