Re: Setting up a nnmbox server

From: Harry Putnam
Subject: Re: Setting up a nnmbox server
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2010 08:42:25 -0500

Alberto Luaces <aluaces@udc.es> writes:

> Thank you, Harry. It seems I got confused with the name
> "nnmbox". Following your instructions (G-f) and creating a nndoc server
> that point to my system mail (/var/mail/${USER}) works fine. In
> addition, I restarted gnus and the group was still there, so maybe this
> is enough for me.

It wasn't clear in your original post the the mbox file you were after
was actually your system mail box.  In that case, most of us who read
our mail regularly with gnus would have gnus slurp that mail regularly
and present it with gnus, in what ever backend we prefer...

Getting gnus to slurp your system mail box requires something like
this:

(setq mail-sources
           '((file :path "/var/spool/mail/reader")))

But once gnus slurps it, the system mailbox is then empty... not like
using G-f (nndoc).  And the messages are stored under ~/News in format
of your choosing.

You'll need to study gnus manual a bit more to understand how to make
gnus present you mail in a way you like.

I've used the nnml backend for yrs... others prefer nnmaildir, or etc.

There are several more to choose from, but nnml is one of the most
versatile.  Any of them can be found in the gnus manual.