IMAP Connection Dies on Fedora 13

From: Joel J . Adamson
Subject: IMAP Connection Dies on Fedora 13
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 13:18:18 +0000 (UTC)

Hello,

I have the following setup in .emacs-custom.el:

 '(gnus-select-method (quote (nnimap "imap.unc.edu" (nnimap-stream ssl))))
 '(gnus-secondary-select-methods (quote ((nntp "news.gmane.org"))))
 '(mail-user-agent (quote gnus-user-agent))
 '(read-mail-command (quote gnus))
 '(gnus-message-archive-group "INBOX.Sent")

When I try to log in to the IMAP server, I get this in *imap-log* (with
the password obscured here):

41 OK Completed
depth=0 O = *.unc.edu, OU = Domain Control Validated, CN = *.unc.edu
verify error:num=20:unable to get local issuer certificate
verify return:1
depth=0 O = *.unc.edu, OU = Domain Control Validated, CN = *.unc.edu
verify error:num=27:certificate not trusted
verify return:1
depth=0 O = *.unc.edu, OU = Domain Control Validated, CN = *.unc.edu
verify error:num=21:unable to verify the first certificate
verify return:1
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ ID
MUPDATE=mupdate://mupdate.isis.unc.edu/ AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=LOGIN AUTH=GSSAPI
SASL-IR] imap.unc.edu Cyrus IMAP Murder v2.3.14 server ready
42 NOOP
42 OK Completed
8 LOGIN "adamsonj" "blahblahblah"

I get

Opening nnimap server on imap.unc.edu...failed

in the echo area.

However, when I run the ssl command manually in a shell, and login,
here's what happens:

joel@localhost: ~ > openssl s_client -quiet -ssl2 -connect imap.unc.edu:993
depth=0 O = *.unc.edu, OU = Domain Control Validated, CN = *.unc.edu
verify error:num=20:unable to get local issuer certificate
verify return:1
depth=0 O = *.unc.edu, OU = Domain Control Validated, CN = *.unc.edu
verify error:num=27:certificate not trusted
verify return:1
depth=0 O = *.unc.edu, OU = Domain Control Validated, CN = *.unc.edu
verify error:num=21:unable to verify the first certificate
verify return:1
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ ID
MUPDATE=mupdate://mupdate.isis.unc.edu/ AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=LOGIN AUTH=GSSAPI
SASL-IR] imap.unc.edu Cyrus IMAP Murder v2.3.14 server ready
NOOP
* BAD Invalid tag
30 NOOP
30 OK Completed
5 LOGIN "adamsonj" "blahblahblah"
5 OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ ID
MUPDATE=mupdate://mupdate.isis.unc.edu/ LOGINDISABLED AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=LOGIN
AUTH=GSSAPI ACL RIGHTS=kxte QUOTA MAILBOX-REFERRALS NAMESPACE UIDPLUS
NO_ATOMIC_RENAME UNSELECT CHILDREN MULTIAPPEND BINARY SORT SORT=MODSEQ
THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES ANNOTATEMORE CATENATE CONDSTORE SCAN
IDLE LISTEXT LIST-SUBSCRIBED URLAUTH] User logged in

Seems like gnus is not following through, not listening or something
else is amiss.

Today's Friday, this worked just fine with the same settings on
Wednesday, but when I came in to my office on Thursday I did an update
that included gnutls.  After that it stopped working.  Everything works
fine on a Fedora 12 machine at home, but I get the same errors on
another Fedora 13 machine.  Also, on the same machine where gnus is
failing, Evolution, mutt and mail-notification have no problems at all.

Gnus v5.13

GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.1) of 2010-05-13 on
x86-07.phx2.fedoraproject.org

Thanks,

Joel

--