Re: Gnus hang, when sending mail from gmail account with gnutls.

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: Gnus hang, when sending mail from gmail account with gnutls.
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 14:11:27 +0200

filebat Mark <filebat.mark@gmail.com> writes:

> One more confusing:
> - Since I have explicitly configured to use gnutls by (setq
> starttls-use-gnutls t), why we have STARTTLS output in the buffer of "*trace
> of SMTP seesion".
>
> Regards,
> Denny
>
> On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 5:59 PM, filebat Mark <filebat.mark@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     Hi gnusers
>
>     I can receive mails of gmail by imap. However, after struggling for
> several days, I still fail to send mail in gnus.
>     Would you please help to root cause the problem? My environment: cygwin +
> ntemacs 23.
>
>     Below is my gnus related configuration, and ~/.authinfo is correct.
>
>     And it hangs with the output of "220 2.0.0 Ready to start TLS", when I
> try to invoke message-send in *Message* mode.
>     No problem is found, when manually invoke "gnutls-cli-debug.exe
> www.google.com".
>
>     It seems hang at smtpmail.el::smtpmail-via-smtp
>     line 672        (if (or (null (car (setq greeting
>     (smtpmail-read-response process))))

As a workaround ...

There was a thread earlier in the year about this. The same issue crops
up a lot (under Linux AND Windows btw) and TLS confuses a lot of people
and/or seems very creaky. - I know it did me ;) The thread earlier in
the year posted a solution using msmtp I *think* :--

http://www.mail-archive.com/info-gnus-english@gnu.org/msg08606.html

Hopefully this might work for you.

regards

r.