Re: character set for Russian and French reading Google News

From: Katsumi Yamaoka
Subject: Re: character set for Russian and French reading Google News
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 09:20:50 +0900

Soichi wrote:
> Gnus/5.110006 (No Gnus v0.6) Emacs/23.0.60 (gnu/linux)

> Hi.  I have recently added RSS feeds of Google news in both Russian
> and French.  Emacs and Gnus receive the feeds but the fonts are
> messed up.  Interestingly, the titles of those feeds are shown
> properly in the corresponding languages.  And of course, I have set
> Russian and French fonts in .emacs file and can write in both
> languages without problem.

What html renderer do you use?  I.e., what value is set to
the `mm-text-html-renderer' variable?  It defaults to one of
the symbols (of the actual libraries) `w3m', `w3m-standalone',
`links', `lynx', `w3', and `html2text' first found in your
system.  Some of them or some of those older versions won't
support multilingual text.

> One of the feeds is like,

> http://news.google.co.jp/news?pz=1&cf=all&ned=ru_ru&hl=ru&topic=w&output=rss

> Could anyone help me out for setting the proper fonts in Russian and
> French in reading the news with Gnus?

I seem to have no problem in reading those Russian feeds, though
I'm ignorant in Russian.  I use:

(setq mm-text-html-renderer 'w3m)

It requires the w3m package and the emacs-w3m ELisp package
(the ones I use are those of the bleeding edges).