Re: General advice - incorporating gmail IMAP

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: General advice - incorporating gmail IMAP
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 10:10:36 +0100

Hi Harry,

,----[ (info "(gnus)Connecting to an IMAP Server") ]
| Connecting to an IMAP can be very easy.  Type `B' in the group buffer,
| or (if your primary interest is reading email), say something like:
|
|      (setq gnus-select-method
|            '(nnimap "imap.gmail.com"))
|
|    You'll be prompted for a user name and password.  If you grow tired
| of that, then add the following to your `~/.authinfo' file:
|
|      machine imap.gmail.com login <username> password <password> port imap
|
|    That should basically be it for most users.
`----

Well, since you already have some servers, you probably want to add that
to your `gnus-secondary-select-methods'.

> My aim is a bit more than just receiving mail that way.  I hope to be
> able to subscribe to various google groups by mail and end up with
> something sort of similar to nntp access to those groups.

I do exactly that using my fastmail account.  Therefore, I do
server-side SIEVE message splitting using the List-Id header, so that
all messages of a mailing list go into one special group.  That works
totally great! :-)

Now the sad news: Gmail doesn't support any advanced splitting.  It has
some web-gui for some simple splitting according to to and from headers,
but only a very limited subset of SIEVE.

And now again good news: Gnus can split imap locally, and the local mail
splitting is propagated back to the server.  However, I never used that,
so I have to refer to the docs:

,----[ (info "(gnus)Client-Side IMAP Splitting") ]

`----

> gmail IMAP needs some particular kind of access and authentication all
> described in googles documentation.

Nah, not really.  Since you seem to be using a very current Gnus
version, Gmail should work out of the box.  (At least, it does for me.)

Bye,
Tassilo