Gnus, Exchange 2010 and NTLM

From: Bjarte M . Østvold
Subject: Gnus, Exchange 2010 and NTLM
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 13:40:27 +0000 (UTC)

Dear fellow Gnus users,

I'm trying to use Gnus to read and write mail located on a Microsoft Exchange
2010 server.  I'm using a recent Gnus from git (less than a week old).

I can read mail fine using IMAP, but I cannot send a message using SMTP to the
same server.  For sending mail the server wants authentication via NTLM and
connection security via STARTTLS.  I suspect the former is the problem...
(Oh, and everything is hunky dory using Thunderbird with an addon for
Exchange.)

I've been playing with variable `smtpmail-auth-supported' but to no avail.
Perhaps there's a secret NTLM-related symbol that I need to put in that list?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I've been using Gnus for more than a
decade and I hope this isn't the end of the road...

Here's a trace of the failed SMTP session:

Process SMTP connection broken by remote peer
220 <HOSTNAME> Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service ready at Fri, 15 Apr 2011
15:24:32 +0200

EHLO <CLIENT HOSTNAME>
250-<HOSTNAME> Hello [IP]

250-SIZE 524288000