Problem with IMAP Authentication.

From: Ian Barton
Subject: Problem with IMAP Authentication.
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2011 13:20:40 +0000 (UTC)

I am having problems authenticating to my IMAP server with one of my computers.
I am using the same configuration, in a Dropbox, folder, on both computers. The
64 bit computer works OK. However, on an i386 computer I always get the
following error with the "ian" account:

Checking new news...done Warning: Opening nnimap server on
ian...failed: Unable to contact ian:nil via ssl; Denied server
nnimap+ian; Opening nnimap server on ian...failed: Unable to contact
ian:nil via ssl; Unable to open server nnimap+ian due to: ian/imap
Name or service not known; Opening nnimap server on ian...failed:
Unable to contact ian:nil via ssl; Unable to open server nnimap+ian
due to: ian/imap Name or service not known

The relevant bit of my .emacs looks like this:

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
    '(
      (nnimap "anne" ; primary email
                (nnimap-address "mail2.wilkesley.net")
                (nnimap-server-port 993)
                (nnimap-authenticator login)
            (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.authinfo.gpg")
                (nnimap-expunge-on-close 'never)
                (nnimap-stream ssl)
      )

      (nnimap "lists" ; primary email
                (nnimap-address "mail2.wilkesley.net")
                (nnimap-server-port 993)
                (nnimap-authenticator login)
            (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.authinfo.gpg")
                (nnimap-expunge-on-close 'never)
                (nnimap-stream ssl)
      )

      (nnimap "ian" ; primary email
                (nnimap-address "mail2.wilkesley.net")
                (nnimap-server-port 993)
                (nnimap-authenticator login)
            (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.authinfo.gpg")
                (nnimap-expunge-on-close 'never)
                (nnimap-stream ssl)
      )

  )
)

My .authinfo.gpg:

machine "ian"  login "username" password "password"
machine  "anne" login "username" password "password"
machine  "lists" login "username" password "password"