Re: Gnus uses wrong gmail address when sending!

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Gnus uses wrong gmail address when sending!
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 09:35:32 +0100

Thorsten <quintfall@googlemail.com> writes:

Hi Thorsten,

> I experienced for the second time now a really unacceptable behaviour
> from gnus, that might be related to the Cc: field:
>
> I send this email (copied from the archived sent mail folder):
>
> ,----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> | From: Thorsten <quintXYZ@googlemail.com>
> | Subject: GSoC 2012: Mentor application?
> | Newsgroups: gmane.emacs.orgmode
> | Cc: summer-of-code@gnu.org
> | Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 20:45:26 +0100 (3 hours, 22 minutes, 32 seconds ago)
> `----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> and it arrived in the org-mode mailing list as:
>
> ,----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> | From: Thorsten <quintXYZ@googlemail.com>
> | Subject: GSoC 2012: Mentor application?
> | Newsgroups: gmane.emacs.orgmode
> | To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
> | Cc: summer-of-code@gnu.org
> | Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 20:45:26 +0100 (4 hours, 18 minutes, 23 seconds ago)
> `----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> but gnus sent this mail to the summmer-of-code mailing-list:
>
> ,----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> | From: Thorsten <tjoXYZ@googlemail.com>
> | Subject: GSoC 2012: Mentor application?
> | Newsgroups: gmane.emacs.orgmode
> | Cc: summer-of-code@gnu.org
> | Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 20:45:26 +0100 (3 hours, 45 minutes, 41 seconds ago)
> | Posted-To: gmane.emacs.orgmode
> `----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think, you've shot yourself in your foot.  The problem is that your
original message was both addressed to a newsgroup and Cc-ed to a mail
address.  So the correctly sent nntp article to the org newsgroup was
sent as is, as nntp/gmane don't really care what you write into the From
line.

For the Cc, the same message has to be sent via SMTP, and here your
settings apply.

> | ; Setting behaviors per Mailbox
> | (setq gnus-parameters
> |     '(("nnimap\\+tjoXYZ:INBOX"
> |          (display . all)
> |          (posting-style
> |           (name "NAME")
> |           (address "tjoXYZ@googlemail.com")
> |           (eval (setq message-sendmail-extra-arguments '("-a" "tjoXYZ")))
> |        ))
> |
> |         ("nnimap\\+quintXYZ:INBOX"
> |          (display . all)
> |          (posting-style
> |           (name "Thorsten")
> |           (address "quintXYZ@googlemail.com")
> |           (eval (setq message-sendmail-extra-arguments '("-a" "quintXYZ")))
> |           )) ))

Since you were in the gmane.emacs.orgmode group when writing your
message (I assume), neither of those posting styles apply.

> | ;;;  a few global settings
> | (setq message-send-mail-function 'message-send-mail-with-sendmail)
> | (setq sendmail-program "/usr/bin/msmtp")
> | (setq message-sendmail-extra-arguments '("-a" "tjoXYZ"))
> | (setq gnus-permanently-visible-groups ".*")

Aha, here you set tjoXYZ as initial default.  Note, that this variable
is always the value of the last visited nnimap+xxxXYZ:INBOX, cause there
you set it, too.  I guess, the rewriting of the From header is then done
by msmtp.  (I have no clue about that.)

So it seems to me that gnus did the right thing.  Your config is a bit
broken.  Switching global variables in posting styles is kinda evil.  I
think you can use

    (message-sendmail-extra-arguments '("-a" "quintXYZ"))

as posting style entry with the same effect, except that this won't
switch the value globally.

Bye,
Tassilo