Re: Dueling duplicates

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: Dueling duplicates
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 19:13:24 -0000

On Mon, Aug 01 2011, Ian Zimmerman wrote:

> I am confused by what seems like 2 separate duplicate article handling
> mechanisms in Gnus.
>
> First, there's "Duplicate Suppression" (manual section 3.30), tweakable
> with the following variables:

This section (info "(gnus)Duplicate Suppression") is about a mechanism
that you can use if the normal crosspost handling (via Xref) in
newsgroups fails.

> And then there are "Duplicates" (manual section 6.3.11), which deals in
> the following:
[...]
> `nnmail-treat-duplicates'
>
> What is the relation between these and which is normally active?  Both?
> Neither?  Does it depend on the select method?  I'm interested mainly in
> the answer for nnimap as that is my primary method.

(info "(gnus)Duplicates") und the section (info "(gnus)Getting Mail")
is about handling duplicate incoming mail, i.e. it is only relevant
for mail sources listed in `mail-sources' (info "(gnus)Mail Source
Specifiers").  When using IMAP, you normally don't have an entry for
your IMAP methods in `mail-sources' so this should not be relevant for
you.

I don't know what problem you are trying to solve, so I cannot
recommend an approach.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,