gnus-?-select-method(s) : 2 days trying to figure

From: philippe . coatmeur
Subject: gnus-?-select-method(s) : 2 days trying to figure
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 19:15:52 -0000

Hello everyone

I'm having a hard time trying to properly set my select-methods. I have
2 mail accounts and a news account.

The news account is defined as follow :
(setq gnus-select-method
      '(nntp "news.sunsite.dk")
)

And the mail accounts :
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnmaildir "account_one"
                   (directory "~/path/to/account_one/")
                   (directory-files nnheader-directory-files-safe)
                   (get-new-mail nil))

        (nnmaildir "account_two"
                   (directory "~/path/to/account_two/")
                   (directory-files nnheader-directory-files-safe)
                   (get-new-mail nil))))

And everything works. Thing is that, when setup this way, news accounts
are not prefixed with the backend name, like nntp+something. It's a
detail, but that way I can't set group-parameters for a news group
without knowing the name of that group..

If I define my news account in "secondary", then it works, the group
names a correctly prefixed, but then if I get rid of
"gnus-select-method" then gnus won't start, I
suppose because there is no "primary" method...?

Can somebody please explain that to me ? Do I need some sort of dummy
gnus-select-method ?

How exactly does gnus-select-method and gnus-secondary-select-methods
work together ? The manual is quite silent about this.

--
Philippe M Coatmeur