syncing newsrc across one offlinemap and one nnimap computer

From: Kevin Brubeck Unhammer
Subject: syncing newsrc across one offlinemap and one nnimap computer
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 10:55:41 +0200

Hi,

I use offlineimap with gnus on my computers, but would like to switch to
nnimap on one of them. I sync the marks and newsrc files using unison so
that I don't have to doubly mark-as-read for the news groups.

I set up offlineimap to rename some groups so 'INBOX.work became just
'work' etc., while 'INBOX' stayed 'INBOX'. When I tried setting up
nnimap on the one computer, just switching the select method from
localhost to the remote, it seemed to magically work with the 'INBOX'
folder, it was already subscribed, and there was no duplicate 'INBOX'.

But the other folders were of course not subscribed. Now I can subscribe
to 'INBOX.work', but then my *Group* buffer will show something like

*: work
3: INBOX.work

(at least if I flagged anything). Is it possible to do some renaming to
trick Gnus into thinking they're the same, so that syncing
marks/newsrecs won't upset anything, and the *Group* buffer just shows
'work'?

(I realise that it's pointless to sync marks when I use IMAP, but I
never found a way to _only_ sync the news marks and not the email ones.)

best regards,
Kevin Brubeck Unhammer