Re: total count after expiring emails

From: prad
Subject: Re: total count after expiring emails
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 11:09:52 -0700

Lowell Gilbert <lgusenet@be-well.ilk.org> writes:

> prad <prad@towardsfreedom.com> writes:
>
>> i have 92000+ emails and i expired more than half.
>> then i did B C-M-e to get rid of the expired emails.
>>
>> i think that maildir folder is a lot smaller so presumably the expired
>> emails have been removed.
>>
>> however, when i C-u RET i still get the 92000+ number i used to.
>>
>> i've restarted both gnus and dovecot.
>>
>> how do i get gnus to report on the correct number of emails i have in my
>> inbox?
>
> You're looking for the 'z' group command, I believe
> (`gnus-server-compact-server'). See the manual nodes for
> "Group Line Specification" and "Server Commands".

that's what i would have thought too, but when i do
gnus-server-compact-server
i get told that there is no server.

i also tried
gnus-group-compact-group (G z)
and the message says the backend doesn't support this operation. i think
it's implemented for nnml and i'm using nnimap.

i was of the opinion that dovecot kept track of the count and gnus got
its info from there, but i don't know.

i'm using maildir, so can i switch from nnimap to nnml? not sure that's
possible or even a good idea since i read that nnml isn't compatible
with "any other known format. It should be used with some caution."

--
in friendship,
prad