new user; imap/gmail slowness

From: Joseph Mingrone
Subject: new user; imap/gmail slowness
Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 11:29:59 -0300

Hi;

I just started playing with gnus in the last few days (Gnus v5.13 inside
GNU Emacs 24.3.1 on FreeBSD 9.1-STABLE).  It's really nice to have
mailing lists and rss feeds all within Emacs.  The learning curve is a
little steep, but so far so good.

I've managed to get set my gmail account up, but the speeds are quite
slow and I assume I'm doing something foolish.  This is what I have in
~/.gnus.

(setq gnus-select-method '(nnnil))
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nntp "news.gmane.org")))
(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnimap "gmail"
                                                     (nnimap-address
"imap.gmail.com")
                                                     (nnimap-server-port 993)
                                                     (nnimap-stream ssl)
                                                     (nnir-search-engine imap)
                                                     (nnimap-authinfo-file
"~/.authinfo.gpg")
                                                     (nnmail-expiry-target
"nnimap+gmail:[Gmail]/Trash")
                                                     (nnmail-expiry-wait 90)))
(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
      smtpmail-starttls-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587 nil nil))
      smtpmail-auth-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587 "jrm@ftfl.ca" nil))
      smtpmail-default-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com"
      smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com"
      smtpmail-smtp-service 587
      smtpmail-local-domain "ftfl.ca")

The slow parts are when I hit 'G' in the *Group* buffer.  It can take
over a minute to finish.  I've tried unexposing some labels to imap from with
gmail (e.g. All Mail, Important, etc.) and it helps a little, but
compared to the news groups, it's much slower.

Is there anything I'm missing to speed things up?

Thanks,

Joseph