Article: Toggle headers visibility

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Article: Toggle headers visibility
Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 01:42:40 +0200

I'm trying to get the headers not to show (none of them). This I
managed to do with the call below marked with [1]. (The code is pasted
last.)

But, sometimes I need the data in the headers:

1) Are those stored in local variables? If so, that would be easier,
to write access defuns like `kill-article-author' and the like.

2) If not, I'd like to strike a command, view the headers (some of
them), move point (etc.), and get them.

So I wrote the defun at [2]. That actually works, only I have to read
the article again manually from the summary - is there a way to do it
programatically, like `gnus-article-redraw' or something?

But, once I've done that, I try to hide the headers again. But, then,
the defun at [3] won't have any affect (or rather, the highlight of
the From header face changes - ? - that's all). But, didn't it work
the first time around?

I'm pretty confused by this, so any explanations would be great. If
you have another solution to this problem, I'd be happy to read that,
as well. Cheers.

The code:

;;; headers
;; won't work the second time - [3]
(defun gnus-article-hide-headers ()
  "Hide all headers when showing an article."
  (interactive)
  (setq gnus-visible-headers "^XXX") )
;; works - [2]
(defun gnus-article-show-some-headers ()
  "Show those headers that I've needed so far."
  (interactive)
  (setq gnus-visible-headers "^From:\\|^Newsgroups:") )
(gnus-article-hide-headers) ; first, the XXX method works [1]
(defalias 'hide-headers 'gnus-article-hide-headers)
(defalias 'show-headers 'gnus-article-show-some-headers)

--
Emanuel Berg - programmer (hire me! CV below)
computer projects: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573