Re: How to Track down why gmane is asking for authentication suddenly

From: Harry Putnam
Subject: Re: How to Track down why gmane is asking for authentication suddenly
Date: 23 Aug 2013 12:42:26 +0000

Markus Korber <korbse@ymail.com> writes:

> Thus spake Harry:
>
> > Running Debian 'testing'
> > Emacs-24 - gnus (1wk since last git pull), so magnus.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > It didn't work, but this morning I'm suddenly being hit with authentication
> > prompts from gmane server 'news.gmane.org'  Asking me for my User name.
> > when of course I don't have one and should not need one.
> >
> > Just ignoring the message and pressing <enter> seems to launch gnus into a
> > massive read of all my `read' messages which would number thousands and
> > thousands.
>
> Same here with Ubuntu 12.04, Emacs 23.3.1 and No Gnus v0.11.  However
> only for one subscribed group (gmane.comp.hardware.arm.lpc2100) and not
> for others (e.g. gmane.comp.emulators.virtualbox.general).  Any ideas?

Someone on gmane.discuss suggested I look here to see if my IP was
banned on Gmane:
  http://gmane.org/denied.php.

And sure enough, when I looked I found my provider and even the IP I
recieved from them... listed as banned.

This is my IP:
   z65-50-57-227.ips.direcpath.com (20130821)

The number in parens is a link that reveaks the info below:
  Warning: fopen(/home/httpd/data/news/20130821) [function.fopen]: failed to
  open stream: No such file or directory in
  /home/httpd/gmane/html/stat-day.php on line 19

I suggest you check the cited gmane link above to see if your IP is
similarly banned.

I left word on gmane.discuss of what I've posted above but no one has
responded.

Maybe some one here can throw some light on this.