Re: How to get mail from localhost?

From: Sharon Kimble
Subject: Re: How to get mail from localhost?
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2014 20:34:07 +0000

On Sat, 22 Mar 2014 19:40:08 +0100
asjo@koldfront.dk (Adam Sjøgren) wrote:

> Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@talktalk.net> writes:
>
> > Thanks Adam, but its just not working, and I can't see why.
>
> If you get in the habit of saying what happens and what you expected
> to happen, instead of saying "it doesn't work", you'll see that it is
> much easier for people to help you :-)

True, and point taken.

> > (setq mail-sources '((pop :server "mail.talktalk.net"
> >                                               :user
> > "custardpie@talktalk.net" :password "rhubarbandcustard")))
>
> So first you set mail-sources to one thing.
>
> >       gnus-init-file             "~/.emacs.d/.gnus.el")
>
> (Uh, it doesn't make sense to set gnus-init-file in your .gnus.el!)

Its gone now!

> > (setq mail-sources '((file :path "/var/mail/boudiccas")))
>
> Then you overwrite the previous value...
>
> > And this is what is shown on the 'gnus desktop'
> > =============================
> >  U     *: nnml:mail.misc
> >        6: nnfolder+archive:sent-mail
> >        1: nnfolder+archive:sent-news
> >       14: nnfolder+archive:sent.2014-03
> >       16: nndraft:drafts
> >  U     *: gmane.linux.debian.user
> >        *: gmane.emacs.gnus.general
> > ==============================
>
> If you open nnml:mail.misc, what happens? I would expect email from
> /var/mail/boudiccas to end up there, when you ask Gnus to fetch email.

Yes, it is there, and this is the summary -
R  [   5: Cron Daemon            ] Cron <boudiccas@london> DISPLAY=:0
/home/boudiccas/bin/notify #backup /home

> > But none of the files or 'active' are touched with the time that I
> > started GNUs off, I don't know where its getting the information
> > from, as its not reading the folders in the pathway.
>
> Gnus uses a file called .newsrc.eld to store state. It doesn't just
> scan your filesystem willy nilly :-)

So having seen the display above, is there any way I can get a 'sane
display' in the summary.buffer like 'date-time-source-subject' please?
Looking at the opened '.newsrc.eld' I see that it suggests that you
'touch .newsrc', so I closed gnus down, did the 'touch .newsrc' and
restarted gnus, but the display shown above still retains the same
format. That display is an artefact from my previous attempts to run
gnus, and I would dearly love to purge my system of it, but I can't
find in which file it is stored.

One of the sites that I've been following is at
http://koldfront.dk/text/gnus-email-tutorial.html#thebasics which I've
subsequently learned is your site Adam! Thank you very much for it, its
give information in a very clear and concise, yet still understandable,
format. :)

I've now set a daemon in my '.gnus.el'
============================
;; gnus daemon settings
(gnus-demon-add-handler 'gnus-demon-scan-mail 20 10)
(gnus-demon-add-handler 'gnus-demon-scan-news 60 nil)
(gnus-demon-add-scanmail)
(setq gnus-use-demon t)
(gnus-demon-init)
so I'll leave it running overnight, and see what happens.

Thank you Adam, for your patience and time in helping me, it is
appreciated. :)

Sharon.
Debian testing, Fluxbox 1.3.5, emacs 24.3.1
Registered Linux user 561944