gnus-article-browse-html-article / X11 forwarding

From: Joseph Mingrone
Subject: gnus-article-browse-html-article / X11 forwarding
Date: Thu, 29 May 2014 13:41:11 -0300

Hello,

I recently discovered gnus-article-browse-html-article to view HTML
parts of articles in an external browser.  This works great when the
Emacs window is displayed on the local host.

I often use X11 forwarding to display the Emacs client window on a
remote host.  That is, I keep an Emacs daemon always running on my
desktop at work and display a client on my laptop.  This has some nice
properties.  For example, when I follow a link, Firefox/Conkeror is run
on my laptop (I think this is a Firefox/XULRunner feature).  However,
Firefox/Conkeror running on my laptop can't find those files in
desktop:/tmp created by gnus-article-browse-html-article.

My desktop has a web server set up, so I thought one solution would be
to have gnus-article-browse-html-article place the files under /www/tmp/
(I will password protect that directory, of course) and have the URL
changed from file://tmp/blah.html to http://desktop_hostname/blah.html.
Changing the location of the temporary files was easy enough.  I just had
to change mm-tmp-directory to /www/tmp/.

How can I then get the browser to look for
http://desktop_hostname/tmp/blah.html instead of
file:///www/tmp/blah.html?

Or, is there a better solution?

Thanks,

Joseph

P.S. I thought I posted this yesterday, but it didn't seem to show up.
My apologies if you get it twice.