Re: How to use Gnus to read newsgroup like gnu.emacs.gnus?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: How to use Gnus to read newsgroup like gnu.emacs.gnus?
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 02:31:22 +0200

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

> (add-to-list
> 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nntp "news.gmane.org")
> (nntp "nntp.aioe.org") '(nntp "news.gnus.org"))
>
> So how can I add it then please?

What? :) Why are you asking me that?

What I can see `add-to-list' doesn't work like that,
for an arbitrary number of elements.

Like: (+ 1 2 3) - that works. But:

(setq         some-list '((1 2)))      ; ((1 2)), but...
(add-to-list 'some-list '(3 4) '(5 6)) ; ... is ((1 2) (3 4)),
                                       ; not ((1 2) (3 4) (5 6))

But OK: I never use those `add-to-list', `add-hook',
etc. - I just `setq' once, plain and simple and much
easier to not get confused, as you only set things
once. If you wish to be careful, check the variable's
value first. If it is empty (as is often the case),
just set it to whatever you want safe and sound. If it
isn't empty, and you deem the contents to be of value,
just include it when you set it yourself.

So for me it looks like this:

(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "Aioe.org"))

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml "")) )

The first one is for nntp/news/posts/Usenet, the second
is for nnml/mails.

> The other two links work, so why doesn'tthe last one?
> If I use "news.gnus.org" as the url it takes me to a
> index page with a graphic on it of various sites in a
> rather spiffing looking graphic! So I'm puzzled.

You get a new Gnus with a new Emacs. Of course, you can
get the latest source and compile it - but probably it
is better to use your OS's (distro's) package manager
to upgrade Emacs. The improvements are subtle most of
the time, say you have Emacs 24 now, when 25 gets out,
upgrade, something like that is sensible and enough for
almost all users, I'd say.

> My idea was that I would be able to get advance
> information when a new gnus and emacs are released,
> but maybe I could get that information elsewhere?

What about the Emacs and Gnus homepages?

--
underground experts united