Re: archiving threads one contributes to

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: archiving threads one contributes to
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 16:25:04 +0200

Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:

> My problem is twofolds: how do I make sure that the
> files corresponding to threads I've replied to remain
> on my hard drive, while other files may be cleared at
> some point

You mean, you will delete the other files manually?

> and how do I integrate these file to my mail search
> infrastructure (which is using notmuch).

I have no experience of notmuch, but perhaps it can
sort your mails in directories based on threads?

> Copying the articles into a mailbox seems to be the
> most straightforward way to solve both issues, I just
> don't know how to do it automatically.

Well, I don't see why you would want to delete any
files to begin with - just lots of extra work, it seems
to me, for no obvious advantage (?).

If there isn't any Gnus library or other software that
will help you with this, you'll have to record the
subjects and message IDs of the posts you send.

As in:

(defun save-sent-msg-data ()
  ; save Message ID and Subject to a file
  ; (I don't know if the Message ID is available at
  ;  this point - ?)
)
(add-hook 'message-sent-hook 'save-sent-msg-data)

Then, when you delete the unwanted messages, don't
delete any that has a Subject that is listed in that
file, or if any of your Message IDs is in the
References header.

Or, when you receive a post, do a corresponding check
and, as you say, send it to a group.

But this seems a bit sketchy so I recommend looking
around if there isn't a time tested solution
around... again, if you really feel you must delete the
other files that is!

--
underground experts united