Re: .gnus init file

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: .gnus init file
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2015 20:17:15 +0100

btraven <btraven@nihilo.net> writes:

> I have both .emacs and .gnus in ~\ (w32 24.4) and am
> manually transfering gnus stuff from .emacs to .gnus
> Is there a way to have options > customize write to
> a custom-set-variables paragraph in .gnus instead of
> in .emacs or does all the gnus stuff set through
> customize have to stay in .emacs

No, those files don't mean anything as such. As long
as the files get read, you can put whatever option in
whatever file.

For example, I have a subdirectory with Gnus files,
then I load them all from .emacs with `load-file'.

If you are interested how that might work, check out:

    http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/conf/.emacs
    http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/conf/emacs-init/gnus/

That said, that's nothing I'd recommend as a solution
that is "better" than anyone else's. If you don't have
tons of configuration for Gnus, why don't stick with
.emacs and .gnus? - only when it gets out of hand, it
becomes necessary to split everything into several
files.

> Also is this the right place to ask about using
> openssl, gnutls, and other non-Emacs apps needed to
> make gnus a mail reader as well as a news reader?

It is the right place, but to read mail with Gnus is
easy. The setup is very easy.

This

    http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/conf/emacs-init/gnus/mail.el

should get you started with SMTP and POP - don't mind
the initial defun stop, start reading at the comment
that says "SMTP". If you need other protocols I can't
help you, but I can assure you that is easy as well.

--
underground experts united