Re: Location of .gnus init file

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Location of .gnus init file
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 08:07:23 +0100

btraven <btraven@nihilo.net> writes:

> Okay now I think I know what's going on but I had to move my .gnus out
> of gnus-init-file directory because something in it was causing pop3
> retrieval of about 11000 kb of something (probably all my news
> server's headers each time I invoked gnus. Now in .emacs in
> custom-set-variabel paragraph I have this:

>  '(gnus-article-sort-functions (quote ((not gnus-article-sort-by-date))))
>  '(gnus-check-new-newsgroups nil)
>  '(gnus-default-directory "c:\\emacs\\gnus")
>  '(gnus-directory "c:\\gnus/News/")
>  '(gnus-dribble-directory "c:\\emacs\\gnus")
>  '(gnus-home-directory "c:\\emacs")
>  '(gnus-read-active-file nil)
>  '(gnus-save-all-headers nil)
>  '(gnus-select-method (quote (nntp "news.newsguy.com")))
>  '(gnus-thread-sort-functions (quote ((not gnus-thread-sort-by-date))))
>
> I assume I can eventually move all these to my .gnus by stripping tic
> to left of open paren and inserting setq to right, correct?

No, not all.  The directory `gnus-*-directory' variables have to be set
*before* gnus loads, so these should stay in your ~/.emacs (either in
the customize section or as setqs).  But the others can move to your
~/.gnus.el.

BTW, the docs say that you should always have
`gnus-article-sort-by-number' in your `gnus-article-sort-functions' as a
fallback (first entry).  So you probably want to go with:

  (setq gnus-article-sort-functions
        '((not gnus-article-sort-by-number)
          (not gnus-article-sort-by-date)))

as I've written in my other mail.

> After screwing things up I now have on the last line of *Group* buffer
> U   0:*gnu.emacs.gnus in unbolded font. How do I normalize that group
> so that it is bolded font and with the number of all messages?

Did you try hitting `M-g' on the group?

Bye,
Tassilo