Re: When does gnus read .gnus.el variables

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: When does gnus read .gnus.el variables
Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2015 01:31:20 +0100

>>> So what did "Then that's it." mean?
>>
>> That's why .gnus.el isn't read when he first quits
>> Gnus and then restarts it, because none of that
>> actually happens.
>
> Why does that matter?

The key 'q' in *Group* should be `gnus-group-exit'
which should kill the *Group* buffer after which
(gnus-alive-p) should be nil, as in intuitive.

If the OP can explain why this doesn't happen it might
be disregarded but otherwise his system is br0ken and
fixing it may well fix this issue as well.

It is a partial explanation to his problem part of
which was "why does restarting Emacs set the variable,
but not restarting Gnus?" (pseudo-quote).

We have also encircled the problem as we know when the
variable is reset to its incorrect value.

The next step is: why isn't 'q' quitting Gnus, and
what in 'q' resets the variable? Go to *Group*,
`describe-key', `describe-function', then read the
code...

--
underground experts united