Re: gnus-summary-refer-parent-article doesn't work

From: Random832
Subject: Re: gnus-summary-refer-parent-article doesn't work
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2015 16:54:53 -0400

> Random832 writes:
>
>> If I press ^ on an article whose parent does exist on the server but not
>> in the summary buffer I expected it to fetch the parent from the
>> server. Instead I just get "Couldn't fetch article <Message-ID>", which
>> makes the key essentially useless since if it only works for articles
>> whose parent is in the summary list I can simply use P to select it.
>
> What do you have gnus-refer-article-method set to?

It's just set to current.

After posting this, I tried it on a message in my email and it worked -
it seems arbitrary what messages it works and doesn't work on. For
example, running it on your message does successfully return mine.

On further investigation, it turns out that this (at least here on this
mailing list / on gmane; I'm still not sure what to make of the same
behavior on nntp.olduse.net) is caused by a mismatch between
message-IDs.

For example, one message here refers to this message ID:
<mailman.3137.1427899913.31049.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>

When the parent's actual message ID, according to gmane, is:
<87oan8c6js.fsf@enricoschumann.net>

I just had the bad luck that every message I tried it with before giving
up and posting here had this issue.