Re: Is INBOX special in a Maildir?

From: Julien Cubizolles
Subject: Re: Is INBOX special in a Maildir?
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 00:38:36 +0100

Julien Cubizolles <j.cubizolles@free.fr> writes:

> I suspect it has to do with Gnus being confused about what INBOX really
> is: either the root of the Maildir, or the folder actually named
> INBOX. Do I need to change something in my offlineimap setup, or in
> Gnus' ?

I finally got it right. In case someone stumbles on the same problem:

I was using

type = Maildir
localfolders = ~/email/Maildir/Free

in the local repository setting of .offlineimaprc

and

(nnimap-shell-program "/usr/lib/dovecot/imap -o
mail_location=maildir:$HOME/email/Maildir/Gmail:LAYOUT=fs")

so I guess that offlineimap was writing the INBOX messages in an actual
INBOX folder, whereas dovecot was expecting them at the root of the
Maildir.

Changing the .offlineimaprc setting to:

type = IMAP
preauthtunnel = /usr/lib/dovecot/imap -o
mail_location=maildir:$HOME/email/Maildir/Free:LAYOUT=fs

fixed it. Now only dovecot is writing messages in the Maildir, at least
that's my understanding.

Julien.