Re: Line Wrapping set to Word Wrap in Summary Buffer - how to permanentl

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Line Wrapping set to Word Wrap in Summary Buffer - how to permanently change to Truncate Long Lines?
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2015 18:26:09 +0100

Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:

> All this does not work if one sets
> global-visual-line-mode to 1 in a different
> buffer...
>
> Found it, changed it to visual-line-mode and
> everything is working again.

... do you really want `visual-line-mode' in a Gnus
summary buffer?

Anyway, instead of using defaults, it can be sensible
to set up things like this on a per-mode basis.
Especially since you mention the `gnus-summary-mode'
in particular probably this is what you should do.

For example, here is what I do for the HTML and XML
modes - as you see I disable `visual-line-mode' for
each.

You can do the same (or enable it) with
`gnus-summary-mode-hook', if need be.

;; HTML
(defvar html-mode-map)
(defun html-mode-hook-f ()
  (enable-line-mode)
  (define-key html-mode-map "\C-ow" #'w3m-view)
  (auto-fill-mode   -1)
  (visual-line-mode -1) )
(add-hook 'html-mode-hook #'html-mode-hook-f)

;; XML
(defun nxml-mode-hook-f ()
  (visual-line-mode -1) )
(add-hook 'nxml-mode-hook #'nxml-mode-hook-f)

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573