Re: choose/set from address & gcc-sent_mail

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: choose/set from address & gcc-sent_mail
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2015 09:02:29 +0800

Benjamin Slade <slade@jnanam.net> writes:

> Is there any way to have Gnus automatically prompt for an account in
> case none is set, when composing a new mail or replying to an email?
>
> I have set:
>
> (setq gnus-parameters
>       '(
>         ("home"
>          (posting-style
>           (address "me@gmail.com")
>           (gcc "\"nnimap+home:[Gmail].Sent Mail\"")))
>         ("work"
>          (posting-style
>           (address "me@work.com")
>           (gcc "\"nnimap+work:[Gmail].Sent Mail\"")))
> ))
>
> Which means that if I reply to an email or compose a new email when I'm
> in nnimap+home:.* or nnimap+work:.* it automatically picks the right
> from address and puts a copy of the sent mail in the right place.
>
> But if I'm in a virtual group or in no group at all, then no Gcc is set,
> and From is set to
> "....i-did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-tickle-me". What I would like
> to do is, in the absence of the account already being properly set, as
> per the above rules, to prompt me to chose between, say, "home" and
> "work".

You can stop Gnus tickling you by setting the `user-mail-address' to a
default "from" value. That will at least prevent you from getting those
bogus values.

But that won't run the appropriate gnus-parameters, or set any other
headers up.

There have been a few discussions about this on this and other lists
recently. Apparently there are a couple of external packages you can
try: Gnus Pers, and Gnus Alias:

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusPers
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusAlias

I haven't tried them, but they are definitely there to solve this sort
of problem...