Re: How to prevent gnus from always downloading full index

From: Adam Sjøgren
Subject: Re: How to prevent gnus from always downloading full index
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 12:32:23 +0100

Andreas writes:

>> How many articles do you ask Gnus to display when entering a group?

> 200

I think it should only fetch the "overview" for the newest 200 then. Odd.

>> Have you "caught up" the groups in question (i.e. marked all the old
>> articles as read)?

> Yes, the *group* buffer shows e.g. 2 unread messages for that group.

Then it should only fetch 2 when you enter the group.

>> What does your configuration look like?
>
> I'm using spacemacs, so the base config is at
>

> https://github.com/syl20bnr/spacemacs/blob/master/layers/%2Bemail/gnus/packages.el

Ah! This looks suspicious:

  gnus-fetch-old-headers t

>From the documentation:

 "This feature can seriously impact performance it ignores all locally
  cached header entries. Setting it to t for groups for a server that
  doesn't expire articles (such as news.gmane.org), leads to very slow
  summary generation."

I have nil here. I'm pretty sure this is the culprit.

Setting this twice seems odd:

  gnus-keep-backlog 'nil
  gnus-keep-backlog '0

I have it set to 20. I think 'nil and '0 are weird values to use - nil
or 0 would make more sense, but keeping the default 20 maybe even more :-)

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "It's like somebody with obsessive-compulsive                Adam Sjøgren
  disorder constantly rearranging the names to fit       asjo@koldfront.dk