Re: make sent emails synced in imap sent folder

From: Gijs Hillenius
Subject: Re: make sent emails synced in imap sent folder
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2016 15:53:17 +0100

On  8 Mar 2016, fkqqrr@autistici.org wrote:

> Gijs Hillenius <gijs@hillenius.net> writes:
>
>> On  7 Mar 2016, fkqqrr@autistici.org wrote:
>>

>>> When sending email in Gnus, 'sent' emails by default go into
>>> 'archive' folder locally.
>>>
>>> How to set sent emails to IMAP sent folder?
>>
>> I use
>>
>> ;; Archive Sent Mail On Imap Server
>> (setq gnus-message-archive-method
>> '(nnimap "name-of-your-server-here"))

name-of-your-server-here should correspond to the name you defined for
the imap server in the server buffer

>> ;; E-mail archive, per month
>> (setq gnus-message-archive-group
>> '((if (message-news-p)
>>          "INBOX.misc-news"
>>        (concat "INBOX.sent." (format-time-string "%Y-%m")))))
> 1. Will this create new 'sent' folders per month under 'Inbox'
> folder?

yes. My group buffer lists them like so:

nnimap+thuis:INBOX.sent.2015-01
nnimap+thuis:INBOX.sent.2015-02
nnimap+thuis:INBOX.sent.2015-03
nnimap+thuis:INBOX.sent.2015-04
nnimap+thuis:INBOX.sent.2015-05

every now and then I unsubscribe a bunch of these so that the list
becomes not too unwieldy

> 2. How about the original default 'sent' folder on imap server?

Yep, that is there too. And other imap clients will add Sent, instead of
sent, so you have quite a few sent folders to manage.